• Search
  • Tools

How to keep chunks loaded in Vanilla Minecraft - Snapshot 13w05a

  • #1 Feb 6, 2013

    STORY:
    So I was making a map in singleplayer while using snapshot 13w05a, and i had a day/night sensor to always keep it night (when it detects light from the sun in the morning it sends an inverted signal to a command block which resets the time to 13500). I finished everything but the redstone for it when I encountered a problem. The map was too big (and many other reasons), and the redstone couldn't always be loaded.
    BUT, today I was testing out an area at least 15 chunks away from the light sensor, and i turned it to day so i could see better, then it turned night! Normally you keep a 9x9 chunk area loaded - 81 chunks overall. To test it farther, I placed a small redstone clock which turned on every 8 seconds and connected it to a command block saying "test". And every 8 seconds, even when i went ~20 blocks away, it kept saying it every 8 seconds.

    CONCLUSION:
    I think, and by my testing, Day/Night Sensors or Light Sensors keep the chunk they're in always loaded.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #2 Feb 7, 2013

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #3 Feb 7, 2013

    I hope this works and Jeb keeps it in the game! Useful feature for mapmakers!

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    Hey! My name's Jace, I am really awkward and shy at times, so I stay inside because where better than the internet? ^-^. I'm into games such as Portal 1/2, GMod, Starbound, and of course Minecraft! I'd describe myself as mature and independent, but I do enjoy a conversation. I'm a fangirl too, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Elementary, Teen Wolf, The Vampire Diaries & The Originals are the most favourite TV shows that I like to watch. I'm British *Drinks boiling hot cup of Tea* In Minecraft, redstone & command blocks are my main things that keep me busy. You may also know me as:

    • Jayceebee
    • Cyberman
    • Trenzalore
    • Asa_Akira (Regrettable)
    • Trenzgender
    • TrenzChan
    • Synthestra
  • #4 Mar 29, 2013

    does this work in smp too?If it does it would be really handy

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #5 Mar 29, 2013

    does this work in smp too?If it does it would be really handy

    I'm fairly (but not 100%) sure that the chunks surrounding the spawn point are always loaded in smp, barring plugins and non-standard settings.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    A survival map where you build your world out of mangled zombie corpses unusual resources.

  • #7 Mar 31, 2013

    I think this was more a case of the sensor being in the spawn chunk, sorry.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    I do maps and stuff.

  • #10 May 13, 2013

    This is most definitely a case of spawn chunk. I have a bunch of auto-street-lamps near my house. I cheat and use teleportation commands to get back to my house. When I leave during the day and tp back at night all of the lamps switch to night mode after I'm there (meaning not until they were loaded) vice-versa for night to day. If daylight sensors did, in fact, load their chunks the lamps would already be in their proper state. Also I've covered easily that 9x9 chunk with these auto lamps so that would mean the equivalent of a whole other player standing by my house so that would be very hard on the CPU

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #11 Feb 24, 2014

    Yeh, i want my chunks for farms loaded all the time, cuz i have an iron golem farm. And i saw DocM77 on the mindcrack server having his chunks loaded all the time, it was not spawn chunks and he didn't know himself

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    My vampire, Madara

  • #12 Feb 24, 2014

    I may be wrong about this, but having a "named" pet, animal or mob keeps a single chunk loaded.

    Nevermind, I'm wrong. Although there is a neat trick to remotely load a chunk using the spread players command.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #14 Aug 26, 2017

    The daylight sensor does not work. If you had put a control in your experiment, that is, a command block saying "test" but without the daylight sensor, it would still work. That's because the command block was in a spawn chunk. Spawn chunks are the chunks around your spawn location which are always loaded. They don't unload if you go away from them

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • To post a comment, please login.

Posts Quoted:

Reply

Clear All Quotes